For whatever reason, one of the biggest things that modern day Christian’s are fighting is God’s example of a Godly, Christian woman. We see people fighting this nonstop, in so many different ways. Whether it be through feminism (yes, that topic again because it’s a big deal right now and I’m not one to waver.) or through small acts. I myself am guilty of trying to get away from the woman I know God wants me to be, because frankly, it’s not easy. The Bible calls us to be:
- Lovers and doers of God’s Word. “Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” Just like any Christian, we are to not only read and adore the Word, but live it. We are to follow it with every ounce of ourselves. This is a challenge for every single Christian in this world, not only women, but as a woman, I know that we deal with things that men do not. (and vice versa.) In this time, it is so hard to follow it through 100%, because while it demands us to be pure, meek, and loving…the world is tempting us to be ugly, sinful, sexually and mentally immoral and mean-spirited. As I once heard Beth Moore put it…it’s very very tempted to be a “mean girl” in today’s time.
- A prayer warrior.
“Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually.” Does anyone remember the woman in Matthew 15? Her son was taken over by Satan, and by her faith and prayer, Jesus healed her son. We are to be in constant prayer, to be warriors. The world desperately needs women who will pray for this world, their family, their husbands, their children and the future. We are to seek the Lord in everything that we do.
- Meek, gentle and feminine. “Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things.” All throughout the Bible, the Lord tells women to be dignified, gentle, calm and meek. No, we aren’t called to sit at home alone all day long without lives, we aren’t supposed to be in silence completely. Many people have a misunderstanding on what this means. God wants His women to be strong in faith, to be witnesses, to preach His Holy Word, but we must remember that we have a big calling here. We aren’t supposed to be like men. We aren’t supposed to act like them. We are called to be submissive to our Godly leaders, which is the opposite of what modern day women are pushed to be.
- Full of God’s wisdom. “She opens her mouth in wisdom, And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.” It is so important for Christian’s to have these older, Godly women to look up to, and for everyone to see their kindness and have their wisdom. As a young Christian myself, I’ve gotten some of the sweetest advice from these wise ladies of God. I have gotten support and love, and they have fired me up for the Lord so much and inspired me to be that type of woman, God’s type of woman. Godly women study His word, and they know Him well. This fills them with wisdom.
- Cheerful. “A cheerful heart is good medicine.” Folks, one of the most toxic things for someone who is coming to Christ is seeing a unhappy Christian. I know so many “doom and gloom” people who are constantly miserable, yet they profess to know Jesus Christ. Yes, we all have bad days, we all suffer from life. We may battle with depression, anxiety and other things, but we know the most important thing – Jesus came and died for us, and no matter what happens to us here on earth, we have an eternal home in Heaven. A Godly woman remembers this fact and keeps it close to her heart, and no matter the trials that she may face, she has happiness from God.
- Modest. “Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly.” Here’s a topic I haven’t posted on recently – modesty. No matter how much the world argues with this, and oh, do they ever, modesty is a very important topic in the Bible. In so many places, women are commanded to dress modestly. A Godly woman realizes the power of her body and womanhood, and strives to be modest in not only dress but in her actions, to protect her brothers in Christ, and to shine a light for Christ. This isn’t a personal conviction thing, this is something that the Bible commands every woman to do. No loopholes.
This list could go on. Godly women..something that is desperately needed in this world. We need more Godly women to rise up, to be firm in their beliefs, to be set apart and different with no looking back into the world, no straddling the fence. We need them to be willing in everything God calls them to do, to teach the younger women to behave as Christ calls them to, to encourage men to be the leaders that God wants them to be, to be willing to forsake the world and it’s demands and be this picture of Christ.
“Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.”
― Margaret D. Nadauld
Women of Christ, rise up. Stop straddling the fence and be who Christ wants you to be. Forsake the picture of a perfect woman that the world has painted, and instead, go to the gospel for instruction. We have strayed so far from what is truly a Godly woman. Take inspiration from the women of the Bible, and follow Him in all that you do.